Applying for a New Driving Licence in the UK

After taking driving lessons Cardiff you need to get your license. In applying for a new driving licence in the United Kingdom (UK) you need to send a completed form to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency or DVLA. This form is identified as “D1” which means an Application for a Driving Licence. This sort of form is available from the Form Ordering Service of the DVLA or from any Post Offices in the UK.

If you want to apply for a driving licence of the Lorry or bus, you can do it by sending a completed form identified as “D2” to the DVLA. This form means an application for a lorry or bus driving licence. It is available at the Form Ordering Service of the DVLA.

To apply for your provisional driving licence for the first time, you can do it through the DVLA online. This is for a car, a moped or a motorcycle. You can apply by the use of your government gateway Identification (I.D.) Card.

So, you can get now your first provisional driving licence for a car, moped or motorcycle from DVLA online. Remember that when you apply always use your Government Gateway ID. You will get this sort of I.D. as part of your application if you really don’t have one or if you need to register again.

On the other hand, before starting the process, you should also need the other ways to apply for your driving licence. If you’re applying online for a moped or motorcycle or for a car, you should:

(1.) be a resident of the United Kingdom
(2.) meet the minimum age requirement
(3.) meet the minimum eyesight requirement
(4.) not be prevented from driving for any reason.
(5.) pay £34 by Visa, MasterCard, Electron, Maestro or Delta credit or debit card
(6.) have a valid UK passport or any other available form of identity
(7.) have your National Insurance number if it is known
(8.) provide some addresses where you have lived over the last three years. Your licence should arrive within one week if you apply online.

You can apply for a provisional driving licence when you’re 15 years and nine months old. You can start driving when you’re:
(1.) 17 if you want to drive a car
(2.) 16 if you want to ride a moped or light quad bike.

Your driving licence will say when is the right time that you can start driving different vehicles. You can already drive a vehicle when you are 16 if you have got or have applied for the enhanced rate of the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment or PIP.

If you apply online you should agree that the DVLA will be checking your personal data, including the number of your National Insurance. The DVLA along with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) will then confirm your details.

The DVLA will send you an email once you have applied confirming that you might be asked to take part in a research by email, but you can also choose not to.